Home Website Youtube GitHub

Reference Arrays do not mirror

When duplicate symmetrical is used on a component, the reference array targets remain unchanged on the duplicated component.

Example:
Right arm IK array has “left shoulder tip”. When right arm duplicate symmetrical is clicked for the right arm the resulting left arm will have “left shoulder tip” in the array.
It would be nice if it were changed to “right shoulder tip”.

Hi @Lucas_Brown

As far as I know its not a bug. I have tested it for quite some time in maya 2016, 17 and 18. I couldn’t find the problem you were describing. The only time this happened to me was when I duplicated symmetry only the left arm without the shoulder component. That too happened only once. So can I see your guide components or to figure out why its happening.

Thanks

I think I understand why it doesn’t mirror.

1. Create left arm and adjust settings/placement
  2. Duplicate symmetrical
  3. Add shoulder_R0_tip to the IK array on the left arm
  4. Delete right arm
  5. Duplicate symmetrical on left arm

The problem is, if the component in the array doesn’t exist when duplicate symmetrical is called it doesn’t attempt to mirror that component name in the array. It’s probably an edge case, but it would be nice to get a warning at least.

1 Like

Hi @Lucas_Brown,

Thank you for the feedback and the steps to reproduce the issue
I have log the issue in github: https://github.com/mgear-dev/shifter/issues/17

I will check it ASAP.

Cheers,
Miquel

Just going to bump this, still a bug in 3.0.
I made a little video showing the steps. Maybe I’m just using this feature in a foolish way. :slight_smile:
https://youtu.be/vEZ7HnaRdQU

@Lucas_Brown Is is not a bug, but kind of. (Or at less can be improved)

Simply expects that L side component has L side Space. So will convert all to right side when mirror duplicate.

If it is already Right will not change. But if you mirror one more time from right to left again, it will convert all to Left

Cheers,
Miquel