Home Website Youtube GitHub

rigBits: Eye Rigger

`# Traceback (most recent call last):

File “C:\Users\BennGarnish\Documents\mgear_3.1.1\scripts\mgear\rigbits\eye_rigger.py”, line 1168, in buildRig

eyeRig(*self.buildDict[“eye”])

File “C:\Users\BennGarnish\Documents\mgear_3.1.1\scripts\mgear\rigbits\eye_rigger.py”, line 786, in eyeRig

transformValue=t_val)

File “C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2018\Python\lib\site-packages\pymel\internal\pmcmds.py”, line 134, in skinPercent_wrapped

res = new_cmd(*new_args, **new_kwargs)

RuntimeError: eye_L0_eye_jnt is not an influence object for this skin.

`

If there’s a pre-existing skin then the eye rigger fails

If I have no skin on the head of my character then the eye rigger will build correctly ?

Hi @Benn
eye rigger should be working when your mesh has a previous skin
can you provide a sample scene?

Thanks Miguel

Yeah I run into issues like this too sometimes.

What I do when I am first generating the eyes, is run the eye config with auto skinning. I do one eye at a time, and then save out the weights as layers in ngSkinTools. Then, when I build my rig, I turn off auto-skinning, and then import the separate eye layers to the full body weights.

This works well enough for me, because I rarely have to run the auto skinning on the eyes, unless I am rigging a new character with quite different topology. Then I regenerate the eyes again. (I realize it’s a bit of a hacky workaround.)

1 Like

How does NGSkin work for the eye setup whereby it only has a certain amount of joints in the layer?

Can you add a layer with the full body joints and they both work together fine?

Thanks
B.

Later, when you want to import all the ngSkin layers, you have to add all the joints from all your layers into the skinCluster.

And then yes, the certain amount of joints of one layer get assigned just fine to the joints specified.

Currently after the build process the eye rig is in a group of its own. Is this normal?
Or do I have to parent the group to something?