Home Website Youtube GitHub

Time Editor strange behaviour

Hi , has anyone used the time editor with mGear rigs at all? ii have some mocap that i’d like to edit but if I try to split a clip at current frame the whole thing blows upt ,even if just create a default rig from the biped guide , key a few basic transforms , select all controllers and add as a clip to time editor , it breaks as soon as a try to split the clip up , I’m on 2017 sp4 , maybe 2018 is more stable in this regard?

Thanks

Sam

UPDATE:

I just updated to 2018 and it seems to be working fine so far

I’m aware from looking at the Maya beta forum the time editor has been quite buggy so hopefully it shall become more usable from now on

1 Like

Hi @samboyd Glad to hear that :slight_smile:

Hi, I also have problems getting mGear to work with the time editor in Maya 2018. My rig is based on the biped rig with some tweaks and added facial controls.

When I create an animation clip out of the scene animation the rig breaks. Arms, legs and the head fly off into outer space in my scene :). I tried to use synoptic’s “select all” button and turned off “include entire hierarchy” in the time editor “add animation from scene selection” options and I also tried to select only the world control with “include entire hierarchy” turned on. The latter gave the best results: only the left arm got stuck in a weird position inside the characters head.

My question is if someone has been having the same issues or if there is a known workaround?

Since this is a motion capture project, my workaround for now is to use human ik with the time editor. I make all the animation edits, offsets, blend several animations, etc. and afterwards bake the animation to the mGear controls to do the hand and facial animation. Human IK seems to work quite nicely with the time editor.

Hello @raumkapsel

When you are creating your clips make sure to have the controls selected and set the Include Entire Heararchy to OFF as this can lead to problems… That been said I haven’t play that much with the time editor but at least on Maya 2019 when creating a clip from all the rigs controls (selecting all of them with the set) and setting this option to off leads to correct results on my side. Can you maybe share your settings when creating the Clip?

Cheers

1 Like

Hi Jerome,

thank you for your fast reply! You are right, just tried it with the standard mGear biped rig and it works when I turn off “Include entire hierarchy” and “Complete HIK Rig”.

When I try the same with my rig, it looks like not all controls get added to the clip:

@raumkapsel

Could I ask you to send me your file before the clip creation so that I can take a look? You can send it in a private message ? I recall having some issues depending on the state of certains switches with this but I am not filly sure that this is the same case here.

Let me know.

That would be great, thank you so much!! I can’t see how I can send private messages. Maybe because I just jointed the forum today?

Click on your avatar in the top right corner, and click the envelope.
12%20pm%20copy

I can’t send messages there. I also tried to send a message via the moderators contact form. But it says I am not allowed to write to you. So I guess there is some kind of restriction, because my account is so new.

I’ve send you a private message so you should be able to answer from there.

Hello @raumkapsel

I think the issue was simply that you need to include static attributes into your clip creation.

Please give it a try and let me know.

Cheers

2 Likes

Great, that’s it, now it works perfectly! Thank you so much! I thought I had tried this already.

1 Like