Home Website Youtube GitHub

Topology for rigging

Hi, guys! I am but a regular 3d character artist. For my personal project, I’ve decided to try something new and decided to approach rigging and a little bit of animation. After some time searching for an auto rigging system I’ve settled for the mGear and started learning.
Now for the question at hand. In the official videos on mGear’s channel, the model of a guy is broken into chunks (arms tucked into sleeves, feet tucked into jeans etc.). I was wondering - from the rigging/animation standpoint is it preferable to have your model built this way? Or is it more convenient to have all parts welded together? What would be the benefits and drawbacks of both methods?
A character for my personal project has similar look to it as in the training videos. But when I was creating a lowpoly for it, I merged up all the parts, and now I’m second-guessing that decision)
I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on this topic.

it depends of the project and needs. (For example game or film) Usually there is some kind of partition, but is always good to have a body universal topology as a base for rigging, even if is not rendered at the end
For a good topo reference check https://www.sergicaballer.com/ and his gumroad :wink:

2 Likes