Home Website Youtube GitHub

Understanding how mgear arms work?

Hi I’m new to MGear at the moment I’m trying to build a rig on top of an already created skeleton to speed up the process and it is working phenomenally, one question I had is for the arm component, whenever I try to rotate the upper arm along the x-axis is just doesn’t rotate. Is that the intended function if so what is the reason for it?.

Hi welcome,

What exact control are you talking about? Please say the control name.

And I’ve increased your user level, so you can attach a screenshot or something to help explain what you mean.

I’m talking about the epic_mannequin_arm_01 component but it’s a common function i see across multiple different arm components, it feels like the twist joints counter the upper arm rotation, to create this sort of twist motion?,

Ah I see. Yes that is normal. The top twist joints follow the shoulder, so the skinned geo doesn’t tear off when you rotate the arm.

That is what the twist joints are for. They distribute the rotation between the shoulder and arm, and between the forearm and wrist.

Ah i see so the twist joints distribute the motion down the arm, and the upper arm rotate X should be driven by the shoulder??, sorry if this is a simple question it’s just so different from different rigs I’ve used

No, sorry maybe I explained that wrong. The upper arm rotate is driven by animation and the space switch you have chosen. The twist joints follow the rotation of the arm.

What are you saying isn’t rotating in X? Screenshots might help.

I rotated the top controller of the arm by 89 and it is rotating the lower arm and elbow as expected but the top doesn’t seem to rotate at all is that how it is suppose to function? the top arm joint seems to rotate very minimally

Ok, so it’s a robot! You don’t want twist. You didn’t mention it was a robot. :slight_smile:

Maybe you’ll just have to disconnect the twist and (optionally) constrain the twist joints directly to the arm bones.

Or if you need the twist to stay static (so the shoulder gear doesn’t break) you might need to find the twist driver and change what it is being driven by. Like you said, the shoulder (or chest).

Ah ok got it haha,
I was just a bit confused about it since generally when you move the top FK, it’ll rotate everything evenly, I suppose I didn’t see that it was meant to add realism to organic characters

1 Like