Home Website Youtube GitHub

Working only as Mgear Rigger

Hi guys! I need a recommendation about working as a rigger. Do you think is a must to know how to rig manually without using the Mgear plugin? Because I would like to start working in the industry but I really dont know if I have the requered skills. So I only rig using the plugin , Should I must learn rigging without any plug in? Thanks and happy rigging

Hi Gon,

Yeah I 100% think you should learn how to rig manually. If you can’t rig manually, you can’t work anywhere that doesn’t use mGear. And if anything goes wrong with a rig (including Shifter) you need to know how it works to be able to diagnose and fix it.

I’ll also just be a bit pedantic here, because working as a rigger or tech artist requires being pedantic and precise, when you go to help companies implement these tools: mGear is not a plugin. It’s a framework of tools, plugins and scripts. It uses some plugins. It’s installed in Maya as a module. So in addition to rigging, some skills to know are how to install modules in a production environment. And understanding at least the basics of Python so you can write post scripts, or navigate the Python module structure of the scripts when something goes wrong and you need to understand an error.

You might be able to find some work where people just need mGear riggers to setup and build guides/rigs/skinning, etc. But you’ll be in a MUCH stronger position if you learn some of those rigging/tech/scripting skills.

2 Likes

Thank you so much chris! Im a native animator and now Im learning rigging, thank for your time!

1 Like