Home Website Youtube GitHub

mGear not showing in Maya 2023

FYI the menu is only visible when on the Rigging menu set. You probably checked, but I say this because your screenshot shows you’re on the Modeling menu set.
F3 is the keyboard shortcut for Rigging menus.

I’m not sure about that. It shows up in every menu set for me.

But I don’t have any answers for why it doesn’t show up, sorry folks. :frowning:

I stand corrected! Not sure why I was sure about that.

As for why menu isn’t loading, if you have pymel and python 3 installed (when using the newer mayas), and the mgear plugin enabled it should definitely show up. Check the script editor and output window for errors.

The’re are any errors, no logs, no warnings, just drag n drop, or the old installing process.
It just looks fine, loaded and autoloaded in the plug-in menu, but still doesn’t appears. =(

Check your installed Python version.

import sys
print (sys.version)

If you are using python 3.0 or higher I don’t know what more to try. If it’s less than 3, that’s your problem.

Also, as an aside, make sure you have these check boxes checked so if an error does pop up it is described in detail.

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Cvwrap print statement errors

Also still having this issue~ am able to successfully install and enable the plugin but a menu set does not appear. Has anyone found a recent solution to this? (Currently using MacOS Ventura 13.1)

Any solutions so anyone?
We have several Windows PCs where mGear just won’t show up. Using Maya 2022 with Python 3.7.7
Thank you

Hi welcome. Please provide more information.

• Which method of mGear installation did you use?
  • “several Windows PCs”, does that mean it is working on some of your computers?
  • Is mGear loading properly? import mgear and see if it gives an error. Or is it just the missing menu?
  • Any other info you can think of.

If we can’t figure out a pattern, or a way to reproduce it, we can only guess. I think there was one thread where someone solved it. But it was something to do with their Maya.env setup.

1 Like

it could be an issue with pymel not loading correctly, check the path entry in your enviroment variables.

I have the same issue - menu isn’t showing

mgear_4.0.9
Dragdrop installation in fresh 2023.3
3.9.7 (tags/v3.9.7:1016ef3, Aug 30 2021, 20:19:38) [MSC v.1929 64 bit (AMD64)]
Plugin mgear_solvers.mll is listed and loaded

The same version is working in 2020
Menu Set Editor is also not listing mGear

Would it even install if pymel wasn’t installed?
Im 99% sure that i installed it but how could i check for it?

the installed don’t use pymel, but you need pymel to launch mGear after is installed

so is there a way to check if it’s installed? Since the menu isn’t showing up.
Any ideas on what I could do to make it appear?

And its also not showing in the output window as it did in 2020 ;/

import pymel.core

If that returns an error, it’s not installed.

Error: ModuleNotFoundError: file line 1: No module named ‘pymel’

but when i use install ISO i have no option to pick it up.

Is there a manual way to install it? and if, could you plz give me some advice on how to do it properly?

I was having the same problem of the menu not showing up even though pymel was installed.
I just ran the mgear user setup in the script editor and it appeared.

Yes there is no longer an option to install Pymel in Maya. You have to do it manually. You can download Pymel here. Release 1.4.0b1 · LumaPictures/pymel · GitHub

And installation instructions are inside that package in a file called install.rst

/pymel-1.4.0b1/docs/source/install.rst

More info in this thread: Maya 2024 Looks Promising. Will mGear be available for it like previous versions? - #25 by i3D

Thanks a lot to everybody ;D

im at step 3. where i need to run setup.py but there is no such file:
i have only setup.cfg

Could it be that pymel is installed but the fact that i block all connections for maya via firewall that it isn’t working?
When starting the setup i saw this little message.

When I try to run the “user setup” it tells me the Pymel module is missing

Error: ModuleNotFoundError: file line 3: No module named ‘pymel’